Faith West is committed to providing students with the materials needed to be successful with new classroom technologies.
Requesting Technology Help
The Technology Office is located on the first floor of the Main building near the fountain area. Computer assistance is available to students who have a Faith West owned MS Surface or Dell laptop. If your school owned device is broken or not functioning in any way, please visit the Technology Office for repairs or to obtain a new device if your device cannot be repaired quickly.
Out teacher, Mrs. Barton, has put together a student resource guide for Google Classroom and other Google features. You can access the site here: https://sites.google.com/faithwest.org/fwa-parent-and-student/home
Accessing Email On Your Phone
Email Login Page: http://mail.faithwest.org
To access your email on your phone, use the following values: (detailed steps vary per phone manufacturer/model)
- We use an Exchange Server
- server = outlook.office365.com
- username = your full email address
- description = enter Faith West
Accessing Your Online Textbooks
You should have received a paper from Mrs. Bickerstaff with your logon information for your online textbooks. Complete the following steps:
- Open an internet browser and access Dashboard.shelfit.com
- Type in your FWA email address. Remember it ends with @fwastudents.org
- Type the password provided by Mrs. Bickerstaff
- Click reader
- Click external ebooks
- Follow the directions given when you click on each individual book. Ask your teacher if you need help with their specific book.
- Email Mrs. Bickerstaff if you run into problems: email@example.com
Weekly Restarts to the Faith West Owned Device
Whether you have a Faith West owned device or your own Microsoft device, weekly restarts keep your device in optimal working condition. Restarts apply necessary updates to your device. We recommend restarts on Wednesday nights because that should be a light homework night. If you restart your device weekly, a restart can take as little as 5 minutes. If you haven’t restarted in a while and updates need to occur, a restart can take over an hour. That’s why Wednesday is a good night.
To restart your device, click the window icon in the lower left, hover the cursor over the arrow next to Shutdown, and select Restart with Updates if that option is showing. Otherwise just select Restart. Do not close your device. Wait for the restart to fully complete before closing your device for the night.
Issues with Flash in Chrome
Flash must be allowed on a website by website basis while using Chrome. Complete the following instructions:
- Open Chrome and type chrome://settings/content/flash . Enable Ask first (recommended) by sliding the blue circle to the right.
- Go to the website where you need to use Flash.
- Click “green lock” icon or “i in circle” icon at the left side of address bar. Choose Always allow on this site. If that option is not available, you may need to log into the site and get to the place where you see that Flash is needed.
- Select Reload.
- If the website contains Flash plugins with size < 400px x 300px, they will always be blocked. You need to click plugin blocked icon in top right corner and click run all plugins this time in every reload.
Access your email at mail.faithwest.org. This is the best place to access your email because you also have easy access to your OneDrive using the App Selector in the upper left corner. If you choose to use the mail icon in the task bar, Faith West uses an Exchange server. The server is outlook.office365.com and your username is your full email address.
Opening Your Email on Your Phone or Tablet
You can add your Faith West email to your phone or tablet in the same way you add any other email address. Add your Faith West email as an Exchange account. If you are prompted for a Username and Server, use your full email account as the Username and outlook.office365.com as the server.
Bing is Blocked for Searches
Bing is blocked for security reasons. If your internet browser uses Bing as it’s default search engine, you probably will want to change it to Google to avoid Blocked messages.
NOTE: MS Edge uses Bing as the default search engine. Chrome uses Google as the default search engine.
Change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge
- Go to the website of the search engine you want as your default, for example www.google.com.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right, scroll down and select Settings.
- Scroll down, select View advanced settings, scroll down again, and then select Change search engine.
- Select your search engine’s website in the list, and then select Set as default.
- If you don’t see your search engine in the list, make sure that you’ve visited the search engine’s website in Microsoft Edge and that your search engine uses OpenSearch technology, which Google does.
Change the default search engine in Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the upper right, scroll down, and select Settings.
- Scroll down to Search Engine and select the search engine to be used in the address bar. There is a drop down menu with options.
Portal Access – Grades and Schedules
You can access the PlusPortals site to view your grades and your schedule at www.plusportals.com/FaithWestAcademy. Do not just do an internet search for PlusPortals. You will end up at another school’s site. Use your Faith West email account as your user name. Check your email for your new access information. See the PlusPortals web page for more details on using the tool.
Connecting Your Device to a Home Wireless Printer
You can always connect to a home printer using the printer’s USB cable. If you want to connect to a wireless printer, you can use the following instructions as a general guide since your level of operating system and personal preferences will vary.
- Click on Start and then Devices and Printers
- The printer window will open. Towards the top menu will be a button called Add a printer.
- Click the Add a printer button. It will search the network for the printer.
- Once it lists the printer, click on the printer name and click Next.
- It will install the drivers.
If you cannot connect to a home printer, please email Mr. Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up a time when he can remote in to your device in the evening and make the necessary changes to connect your surface to your home printer.
Faith West Academy provides each Secondary student with a school email address that must be used for school-related communication. Microsoft Office 365 is a hosted cloud-based service that provides tools such as e-mail and online document viewing and editing. You can read more about the Office 365 service on Microsoft’s Office 365 for Education page.
Please use the following links to understand how to use Office 365.
- Office 365 General Overview
- Office 365 Getting Started
- Office 365 Logging In
- Office 365 Download Software
- Office 365 Webmail Interface
Please use the following link if your teacher asks that your work be submitted using TurnItIn.com.